Date: February 18th, 2015
Source: stltoday.com (ST. Louis Post Dispatch)
Over the past eight years, heroin, morphine and prescription narcotic overdoses have taken lives of 2,325 people in the bistate metropolitan region -348 last year alone. These deaths are a growing but preventable epidemic. Every day, these families look across their dinner table at an empty chair where their loved one once sat. No family is immune, as Mary Ann Lemonds’ knows all too well.
The Lemondses were a picture-perfect family – involved in church, their kids’ schools and sports teams. They ate dinner together. But their son, Ben, began experimenting with drugs in middle school. He became addicted and their family traveled with him in his roller coaster ride through treatment,sobriety and using for six years.Ben died from a heroin overdose on Jan. 4,2011, at age 21. He was a sweet, loving and creative person who despite his many talents, sincerity and determination, lost his battle with the disease of addiction.
To Read the entire article Click here
Submitted by: Paul N Kelly ( Daddy)
My Tribute: Samuel was a loving caring and talented young man. He was an athlete and a wonderful brother to Paulie and Aiden. His smile would light up the room, my mother always said. He struggled with addiction and the frustration of wanting to do the right thing, but being beaten by the sickness. He loved his family more than anything. He tried rehab twice, and relapsed both times. The second killed him. Sambo we will miss you, but we will never forget you. The unique way you saw the world, the ever simple, but very complex personality. Your humor, your smile, and most of all, the love you shared with your family will be what we always cherish and hold on to. We love you Sambo- I just wish I could have been there when you needed me most. You are free now. Let go and fly, like I know you can. All my love, Daddy Forever Love, that is what we shared.
Date: Feb 10th 2015
Author: Jennifer Moreau
Source: Burnaby now
Jennifer Woodside has already been through the worst day of her life. It was April 4, 2014, when her 21-year-old son, Dylan, went to sleep and never woke up. "Nothing can be worse than that day I went through," Woodside said. Dylan, a young art student, had developed a taste for ketamine, a drug somewhat popular on the club scene. He was on and off it for about eight months and managed to get through detox, but as Woodside tells it, he did it one more time.
To Read the entire article Click Here
Date: Feb 12, 2015
Source: The Early Edition: CBC News: British Columbia
Talking about the death of loved ones is often difficult, but it can be even more challenging when their death is drug-related. That's why Port Moody resident Jennifer Woodside has launched the first Canadian chapter of a U.S.-based group called Grief Recovery After a Substance Passing (GRASP) to help people deal with the guilt and anger that often comes with losing someone to drugs or alcohol.
To Read the article Click Here
Submitted by: Amanda Johnson
My Tribute: On Jan 6th, 2015 my nephew passed away from a heroin overdose. My heart aches for his suffering in this life. He had recently moved home to get well and start over. I wish so much he hadn't relapsed. I miss him. He was smart. Brave. Handsome. And had a sensitive heart. Andrew, you are missed. I wish you nothing but peace. I love you. Aunt Mandy
Submitted by: Trinlie Yeaman
My Tribute: My beautiful daughter and best friend. you were the most kind and loving person, always giving and helping those that needed a friend. I miss you so much at times it is unbearable. This world lost an amazing person whose life was cut way too short. You were such a bright light and now everything seems to have a touch of grey without you. Mumzy loves you so much. To the Moon and Back....